US President Donald Trump has mentioned he’s contemplating imposing a quarantine on New York in a bid to sluggish the unfold of the coronavirus.
“We would wish to see [it] quarantined as a result of it is a hotspot,” he informed reporters. “I am desirous about that.”
He spoke as confirmed circumstances within the state elevated to greater than 52,000, round half of the full within the US.
However the state’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, mentioned he had not mentioned such measures with the president.
“I did not communicate to him about any quarantine,” he informed reporters shortly after he had spoken with Mr Trump by telephone.
“I have never had these conversations,” he added. “I do not even know what meaning.”
New York state has the very best variety of circumstances of Covid-19 within the US.
Talking earlier than he left to go to a Navy hospital ship in Virginia, Mr Trump mentioned that “New Jersey [and] sure components of Connecticut” is also quarantined beneath the measures.
“We would not should do it however there is a chance that someday right this moment we’ll do a quarantine — quick time period [for] two weeks,” he mentioned.
However Mr Cuomo, who was holding a each day press briefing on the time of Mr Trump’s feedback on Saturday, expressed concern on the concept.
“I do not understand how that may be legally enforceable,” he mentioned. “And from a medical perspective, I do not know what you’d be carrying out.”
“However I can inform you I do not even just like the sound of it,” he added. “Not even understanding what it’s, I do not just like the sound of it.”
Mr Trump didn’t present additional particulars about what a quarantine on New York or different badly hit US cities would appear like.
However he mentioned it could be geared toward slowing the unfold of the virus to different components of the US.
“They’re having issues down in Florida. A whole lot of New Yorkers are taking place. We do not need that,” he mentioned as he left the White Home.
Comparable quarantine measures in different international locations have concerned widespread closures, bans on public gatherings and main restrictions on journey out and in of the affected space.
What is the newest within the US?
With greater than 1,700 virus-related fatalities, the US dying toll stays decrease than these in Italy and China. However there are virus hotspots in New York, New Orleans and Detroit.
In his press briefing, Mr Cuomo mentioned New York was suspending its presidential major by nearly two months till June 23 on account of the outbreak.
He additionally mentioned the apex of the disaster will happen within the subsequent 14-21 days.
Mr Cuomo mentioned the state would quickly require 30,000 respiratory ventilators, which had elevated in worth to $45,000 (£36,000) every on account of demand.
He added that Mr Trump had accepted the development of 4 momentary hospitals.
Demand for ventilators has additionally doubled within the southern state of Louisiana. Governor John Bel Edwards mentioned New Orleans would run out of ventilators by 2 April and presumably run out of hospital beds by 7 April if the variety of new infections didn’t subside.
“It is not some flimsy concept. That is what’s going to occur,” he mentioned.
Hospitals in New York Metropolis are quickly working out of medical tools and private protecting gear. Extra broadly, the mayors of most US cities have mentioned they count on large shortages of crucial private security tools within the coming weeks.
On Saturday, Mr Trump watched because the USNS Consolation, a Navy hospital ship with 1,000 beds aboard, left for New York from Virginia. It should station itself at a Manhattan pier to cope with the overload of sufferers that New York expects.
It got here after Mr Trump signed a $2.2 trillion (£1.8tr) bailout bill handed by Congress on Friday, the biggest fiscal stimulus in US historical past.
In different developments:
- Greater than 600,000 infections have been confirmed globally and greater than 30,000 deaths, based on figures collated by Johns Hopkins College
- Town in China the place the coronavirus pandemic started, Wuhan, has partially re-opened after more than two months of isolation. Persons are being allowed to enter however not go away, based on reviews
- Italy has confirmed greater than 10,000 fatalities after an additional 889 individuals died within the final 24 hours
- The dying toll in Spain has exceeded 5,000, after it reported 832 extra fatalities. Spain is the world’s worst hit nation after Italy
- The US now has the very best variety of confirmed infections on this planet at 112,000
- South Korea says that for the primary time it now has extra individuals who have recovered from the virus than are nonetheless contaminated.
- Russia and Eire are among the many newest international locations to herald new restrictions to attempt to sluggish the unfold of the virus. In Russia, shopping centres, restaurants and cafes have been ordered to close. In Eire, individuals should keep at house with restricted exceptions for the following two weeks
- Within the UK, frontline National Health Service staff in England will begin being tested this weekend to see if they’ve coronavirus