The Nigerian Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, said the rising insecurity in Nigeria is not enough grounds to say that President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration has failed.
Keyamo, the spokesperson for the presidential campaign organization of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) for the 2023 general elections, said this on Friday, August 5, while appearing on Channels Television.
He said there is insecurity all over the world, including in the United States of America, so Nigeria’s case is no different.
He added that the APC didn’t promise Nigerians that there would never be security breaches, but that when such happens there would be an adequate response.
He said, “Last week those who were gathering around bushes of Abuja, they were raided and flushed out and killed; that is what we promised. We promised response. We did not promise that it will not happen. We promised response and we responded last week. We killed them and Abuja is safe now.
“There will be no incident of such around the bushes of Abuja again. We promised response and we have delivered response. People should not engage in scaremongering. Let me tell you about the psychology of bandits -they want to scare people. Their oxygen is fear, scaremongering. They want to create panic. That is the oxygen of the terrorists.
“When you don’t give them that oxygen of fear, of panic or publicity, they will filter a way, and so when you heard there is one security breach around the areas of Abuja, and the press will blow it the next day. It is only in heaven that there will be no security breach at all and we have not arrived in heaven. We are on earth so there must be security breaches. So I’m telling you that we have responded well.”