In an announcement dated January 13, 2021, Ovuorie addressed accusations made by the media mogul one of which includes claims that they had a cordial relationship that involved cash gifts. She additionally hinted on the involvement of her former employers Premium Instances relating to their copyright possession claims.
Reacting to Abudu’s claims that that they had a relationship previous to the discharge of ‘Oloture’, one which concerned her gifting the journalist cash for the burial of her deceased father, Ovuorie said:
“I despatched messages out to all of the contacts on my telephone subsequently, to tell them to please keep in mind my household and I in prayers; together with Aunty Mo, at the moment (earlier than the discharge of Oloture). I’ve NEVER requested Aunty Mo for cash. Relatively, she despatched me a message to ship my account particulars for her to ship me a token in the direction of my dad’s burial. I did. And she or he subsequently despatched me N100,000.00 (100 thousand naira).
“My former editor on the Guardian newspaper, Mr. Fred Ohwahwa additionally despatched me some cash on listening to my dad had handed on. A number of former bosses, and colleagues and folks I’ve NEVER even met got here by means of for me. I used to be and I’m nonetheless very grateful to all of them. Having watched the video, I now start to marvel: The N100,000 despatched by Aunty Mo, was it greater than a present? Was it meant to purchase my silence when the movie could be launched?”
Learn the complete assertion:
MS. TOBORE OVUORIE
RE: EBONYLIFE’S CLAIMS OVER THE OLOTURE FILM
1. My consideration has been drawn to the latest video recording by Ms. Mo Abudu. Initially, I used to be unable to view the recording as Ms. Mo Abudu (Aunty Mo) had blocked me on Instagram since final yr. I used to be nevertheless capable of view the recording from different platforms that reposted the video.
2. While I now not intend to hitch points on social media in respect of this matter, I want to set the information straight for the sake of posterity.
three. Firstly, EbonyLife claimed that the precise to make use of my life story was legally obtained from my erstwhile employer – Premium Instances. Sadly for them and as I had earlier knowledgeable them by means of my attorneys, the human trafficking investigation in my story had commenced previous to my employment with Premium Instances. It’s disheartening that Aunty Mo may in reality point out that she bought the precise to my life-story (that has impacted on my life since then in some ways) from my ex-employer.
four. Secondly, I’m in shock that Aunty Mo would declare that I used to be contacted previous to the Film in a single breath and in one other breath that the story just isn’t about me however about a number of different faceless journalists who had accomplished what I did however didn’t publish their experiences.
5. If Ebonylife had given me full disclosure from the start, we might not be the place we’re, at this level. Sure, Oloture is a crucial movie to be made however have to be accomplished the precise manner. A Film about ladies victimization can’t find yourself creating additional victimization.
6. Oloture is an ADAPTATION of my work and life-story. I skilled the investigation, the method, and the dangers, upon which the film relies. I additionally single-handedly authored the publication the Film relied on. The publication of my expertise is what gave start to Oloture. A Film about intercourse trafficking doesn’t have to be centered round a journalist and it doesn’t have to play out the plots of my revealed story.
7. The query is, why is the open credit for the story of Oloture bearing Mo Abudu, Temidayo Abudu, and three others? How moral is that for an tailored story? Even the alleged finish credit score, how applicable is it? This isn’t the usual observe within the trade and Ebonylife ought to know higher.
eight. Aunty Mo’s claims that Kenneth Gyang has needed to cope with every day and weekly harassments from me is totally false. On October 4th, 2020 Kenneth Gyang confessed within the revealed Premium Instances story that he turned conscious of the Oloture story, two weeks earlier than the discharge of the movie. A movie director- whom I had labored with on a 30 minutes documentary on this identical story in 2016, instructed Kenneth the precise supply of the story and had warned him of the results.
9. Kenneth Gyang contacted me to grant an audio interview to DW, however my attorneys had suggested me in opposition to additional media engagement on the topic. I additionally thought-about Kenneth’s disposition when he requested for this, and moderately than mincing my phrases in an interview that got here by means of Kenneth Gyang, I made a decision to not grant it. It could be morally mistaken for me to grant such interview when he’s the person who launched my contacts to the reporter who reached me then.
10. Aunty Mo’s declare that I’m doing this due to cash and since Oloture traveled far is one other deliberate try at mischief. The query is whether or not the choice to tag this film a fiction was a deliberate try at maximizing revenue? The allusion to the truth that my declare for compensation was outrageous when I’m claiming infringement of mental property proper, reveals that lots must be accomplished when it comes to re-orientation for the leisure panorama in Nigeria.
11. My apparent curiosity had at all times been to be given applicable credit score for my work, far above the compensatory declare. My attorneys’ letter to EbonyLife had categorically demanded for:
• “Compensation for copyright infringement within the sum of $5,000,000.00 (5 Million US ).
• The rapid inclusion of a correct open credit score and finish credit score within the Film, acknowledging the variation of her work in step with trade normal and observe; and
• Restriction on any additional exploitation of our Consumer’s revealed life story by your good self, your organization and its associated corporations or associates, in any kind, together with our Consumer’s put up -investigation struggles and experiences, resembling her nervous breakdown episodes, which she personally shared with you on set, on or about 6 June 2019 through the recording of the particular version of your program titled: ‘Moments With Mo’ on the Ilupeju recording studio of your organization.
The open and finish credit of the Film ought to be re-edited to learn as follows:
Open Credit score:
“THIS FILM IS LARGELY BASED ON EVENTS WHICH HAPPENED TO A NIGERIAN INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST IN A 2014 PUBLISHED INVESTIGATIVE STORY”.
Finish Credit score:
“THIS FILM IS AN ADAPTATION OF:
WEST AFRICA| UNDERCOVER INSIDE THE HUMAN TRAFFICKING MAFIA, AN INVESTIGATIVE STORY BY TOBORE OVUORIE PUBLISHED BY ZAM MAGAZINE, NETHERLANDS, ON 22 JANUARY 2014 AND SUBSEQUENTLY BY PREMIUM TIMES, NIGERIA”.
12. On July third, 2020, my father; Senior Apostle Jack Mit Ovuorie went to be with the Lord and I used to be knowledgeable on July 4th, 2020. My dad and God have been all I had. I despatched messages out to all of the contacts on my telephone subsequently, to tell them to please keep in mind my household and I in prayers; together with Aunty Mo, at the moment (earlier than the discharge of Oloture). I’ve NEVER requested Aunty Mo for cash. Relatively, she despatched me a message to ship my account particulars for her to ship me a token in the direction of my dad’s burial. I did. And she or he subsequently despatched me N100,000.00 (100 thousand naira). My former editor on the Guardian newspaper, Mr. Fred Ohwahwa additionally despatched me some cash on listening to my dad had handed on. A number of former bosses, and colleagues and folks I’ve NEVER even met got here by means of for me. I used to be and I’m nonetheless very grateful to all of them. Having watched the video, I now start to marvel: The N100,000 despatched by Aunty Mo, was it greater than a present? Was it meant to purchase my silence when the movie could be launched?
13. So many ladies around the globe are trafficked as claimed by Aunty Mo, however who else, and I additionally imply undercover journalists, have identical experiences as revealed earlier than the manufacturing of Oloture and as depicted within the film? Making of a movie on exploitation mustn’t itself be exploitative.
14. I virtually died (and I noticed dying) after I took a 7-month lengthy journey to research human trafficking. Now, I’m going by means of the ordeal a second time watching my life story on TV, with out full credit score or compensation and the next marketing campaign of calumny.
Recall Ovuorie granted an exclusive interview to Pulse detailing how the Netflix film is an adaptation of her 2014 sex trafficking investigative report. Within the interview, the journalist claimed she was contacted after the movie premiered in 2019 and was not correctly credited for the usage of her life story.
Mo Abudu responded to Ovourie’s allegations first with a statement insisting that ‘Oloture’ is a fiction though she sought and purchased rights for the 2014 report from Premium Instances. Abudu later launched a now viral video reiterating that EbonyLife had adopted the authorized boundaries of copyright acquisitions in Nigeria.