Banning Melbourne Victory from selling tickets for home matches is among a host of punishments Football Australia has dealt the club following the shocking pitch invasion last Saturday night.
But the governing body revealed in a statement on Friday afternoon that the investigation remained ongoing, meaning Victory could be hit with more sanctions.
The sanctions imposed on Friday are effective immediately and until January 15, with Victory’s participation in the A-League Men’s and A-League Women’s competitions dependent on the compliance with the punishments.
READ MORE: Win for NRL stars as record salary cap revealed
READ MORE: BBL player sacked after ‘behaviours’ investigated
READ MORE: Swiatek’s sneaky spy tactic backfires
The Victory must cordon off and apply tarps to their active supporters’ sections, while Victory fans are banned from attending away matches.
Victory members are still allowed to attend home games and refunds will be issued for non-members, while the club must cover any fees from ticket-sellers.
“Whilst we continue our very thorough investigation following the inexcusable scenes witnessed at the Melbourne derby, Football Australia has issued Melbourne Victory with a series of strong sanctions which will need to be implemented to enable their participation in both the A-League Men’s and A-League Women’s competitions until a final show-cause determination is made,” said FA chief executive James Johnson.
“These sanctions come into immediate effect starting with Melbourne Victory’s A-League Men’s match on Boxing Day away to Western United, and follow the sanctions issued against individuals earlier this week as part of a package of sanctions in response to the incidents witnessed at the Melbourne derby last weekend.
“These measures are an essential step for Football Australia, as it considers further sporting and financial sanctions that may apply to Melbourne Victory in the show-cause determination process.
“Football Australia does not wish to penalise football fans during this time. However, our priority is to ensure the safety and enjoyment of everyone within the venue on match days and that any unacceptable behaviour by spectators are not repeated at any football match or event ever again. We believe these measures will achieve this.
“Football Australia would like to acknowledge the cooperation of the APL and Melbourne Victory over the past week, and we are sure this will continue during our ongoing investigation, with a determination on the show-cause sanctions to be made in due course.”
Melbourne Victory managing director Caroline Carnegie said in a press conference on Friday that the club accepted the sanctions.
FA is also investigating the behaviour of some Melbourne City supporters at the Melbourne derby.
In the meantime, FA has also directed the APL to cordon off the home-and-away active bays until otherwise advised.
Victoria Police has identified 36 people involved in the pitch invasion and arrested 29 of them.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!