Lagos APC primaries: Group, Elliot bicker over planned violence in Surulere

Tensions Grow Ahead of Lagos APC Primaries
By Dapo Akinrefon
LAGOS — The Surulere Accountability Front (SAF), a local political pressure group, has alleged a coordinated effort by supporters of Desmond Elliot, the lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I, to incite unrest during the upcoming All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries. The group asserts that Elliot has imported non-residents into the area with the aim of disrupting the voting process slated for Wednesday.
In a statement issued by Chairman Olanrewaju Badmus, the group claimed that these individuals will seek to create chaos across the six wards where the primaries will occur. Their goal, according to SAF, is to force an inconclusive election, possibly positioning Elliot for political negotiations afterward.
“We have confirmed information that Desmond Elliot has flooded Surulere 1 with non-residents ahead of the primaries,” Badmus stated. “They allegedly plan to use violent tactics to intimidate voters and ensure an inconclusive outcome.”
The group further alleged that those brought into the area are being housed in various local facilities, including hotels and community centers. Badmus noted that some local youths had already driven away suspected outsiders from Lawanson Market and urged party members and residents to remain vigilant.
Response from Elliot’s Camp
A spokesperson for Elliot dismissed the accusations as unfounded, suggesting that his opponent’s supporters are merely anxious about the lawmaker’s strong local support.
“The allegation is a figment of their imagination,” the source said. “They are nervous because they know Elliot will prevail. We are committed to free and fair elections.”
Elliot Addresses Impeachment Confusion
In related developments, Desmond Elliot clarified his involvement in the January 2025 impeachment of Lagos State House of Assembly Speaker Mudashiru Obasa. Speaking on Channels Television’s “Sunrise Daily,” Elliot stated that he was out of the country when the impeachment occurred.
On January 13, 2025, a majority of lawmakers voted to remove Obasa while he was reportedly vacationing in the United States. Elliot responded to comments made by Femi Gbajabiamila, the Chief of Staff to the President, who alleged that Elliot’s actions nearly jeopardized Gbajabiamila’s position.
“I was in South Africa at the time of the impeachment,” Elliot clarified. “It shocked me upon my return to learn that so many had signed the notice, believing it had the backing of the presidency.”
He noted that further clarification from President Bola Tinubu later revealed that the impeachment was not authorized by him, prompting lawmakers to reverse their actions.
Elliot expressed surprise at Gbajabiamila’s comments, given their long-standing political relationship.
“I never expected my leader to say such a thing, especially considering the support he has extended to me over the years,” he said.
As tensions mount ahead of the primaries, both Elliot and his opponents brace for a potentially contentious event.






